Steven Ferrucci, OD, FAAO
Chief of Optometry, Sepulveda VA Medical Center
Los Angeles, CA
Professor, Southern California College of Optometry at Marshall B. Ketchum University
This online activity targets healthcare gaps related to evidence-based recognition and prevention as well as timely treatment and management of age-related macular degeneration (AMD), impacting visual outcomes through guidelines and best practices, clinical trial data and strategies to facilitate earlier initiation of therapy.
- By addressing these gaps, you can assess whether your approach to AMD management through utilization of current treatment guidelines, individualization of treatment approach and strategies for overcoming treatment barriers – could be modified to help close these gaps.
- Expert discussion will guide you in analyzing and identifying appropriate candidates for anti-VEGF therapy, utilizing guidelines and clinical trial data on efficacy and safety to affect patient outcomes.
- You will also be immersed in dynamic animations utilizing a virtual reality platform to memorably highlight key points related to anti-VEGF therapy in AMD and the recognition of retinal vasculitis.
This activity is designed to meet the educational needs of retina specialists, ophthalmologists, primary care providers, optometrists, and other healthcare providers who manage patients with age-related macular degeneration.
After completing the CME activity, learners should be better able to:
- Incorporate consistent use of evidence-based screening and prevention strategies for patients at risk of AMD
- Apply clinical trial data and guidelines to the selection of therapies for the treatment of patients with AMD
- Identify barriers to early intervention and communicate to patients the importance for early initiation of therapy in AMD
ACCREDITATION STATEMENT: Med Learning Group is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. This CME activity was planned and produced in accordance with the ACCME Essentials.
CREDIT DESIGNATION STATEMENT: Med Learning Group designates this online activity for a maximum of 1.25 AMA Category 1 creditTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the live virtual activity.
NURSING CREDIT INFORMATION: Purpose: This program would be beneficial for nurses involved in the care of patients with AMD. Credits: 1.25 ANCC Contact Hour.
CNE Accreditation Statement:
Ultimate Medical Academy/CCM is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. Awarded 1.25 contact hour of continuing nursing education of RNs and APNs.
DISCLOSURE POLICY STATEMENT
In accordance with the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) Standards for Commercial Support, educational programs sponsored by Med Learning Group must demonstrate balance, independence, objectivity, and scientific rigor. All faculty, authors, editors, staff, and planning committee members participating in an MLG‐sponsored activity are required to disclose any relevant financial interest or other relationship with the manufacturer(s) of any commercial product(s) and/or provider(s) of commercial services that are discussed in an educational activity.
DISCLOSURE OF CONFLICTS OF INTEREST
Steven Ferrucc, OD, FAAO discloses the following financial interests or relationships:
- Consultant: Centervue, Science Based Health, Visible Genomics
- Speakers’ Bureau: Genentech, MacuLogix, Regeneron, Notal Vision
CME Content Review
The content of this activity was independently peer-reviewed. The reviewer of this activity has nothing to disclose.
CNE Content Review
The content of this activity was peer-reviewed by a nurse reviewer.
Teresa L. Keating, MSN, RN, WHNP
Ultimate Medical Academy/CCM – Lead Nurse Planner
The reviewer of this activity has nothing to disclose
Staff Planners and Managers
The staff, planners, and managers reported the following financial relationships or relationships to products or devices they or their spouse/life partner have with commercial interests related to the content of this CME/CE activity:
- Matthew Frese, MBA, General Manager of Med Learning Group, has nothing to d
- Christina Gallo, SVP, Educational Development of Med Learning Group, has nothing to
- Chris Drury, Director of Medical and Scientific Services of Med Learning Group, has nothing to disclose.
- Teresa L. Keating, MSN, RN, WHNP, UMA/CMM – LNP, has nothing to disclose.
- Ana Maria Albino, Senior Program Manager of Med Learning Group, has nothing to
- Amanda Jenkins, Program Coordinator of Med Learning Group, has nothing to disclose.
- Brianna Hanson, MPH, Outcomes and Accreditation Coordinator of Med Learning Group, has nothing to disclose.
- Lauren Welch, MA, VP, Accreditation and Outcomes of Med Learning Group, has nothing to
DISCLOSURE OF UNLABELED USE
Med Learning Group requires that faculty participating in any CME activity disclose to the audience when discussing any unlabeled or investigational use of any commercial product or device not yet approved for use in the United States.
During the course of this lecture, the faculty may mention the use of medications for both FDA‐approved and non‐approved indications.
METHOD OF PARTICIPATION
There are no fees for participating and receiving CME credit for this online activity. To receive CME/CNE credit participants must:
- Read the CME/CNE information and faculty disclosures;
- Participate in the online activity; and
- Complete pre-and-post surveys and evaluations.
You will receive your certificate as a downloadable file.
Med Learning Group makes every effort to develop CME activities that are scientifically based. This activity is designed for educational purposes. Participants have a responsibility to utilize this information to enhance their professional development in an effort to improve patient outcomes. Conclusions drawn by the participants should be derived from careful consideration of all available scientific information. The participant should use his/her clinical judgment, knowledge, experience, and diagnostic decision‐making before applying any information, whether provided here or by others, for any professional use.
For CME questions, please contact Med Learning Group at email@example.com
RELEASE DATE: October 01, 2021
EXPIRATION DATE: October 01, 2022
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
Staff will be glad to assist you with any special needs. Please contact Med Learning Group prior to participating at firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact this CME provider at Med Learning Group for privacy and confidentiality policy statement information at http://medlearninggroup.com/privacy‐policy/
Copyright © 2021 Med Learning Group. All rights reserved. These materials may be used for personal use only. Any rebroadcast, distribution, or reuse of this presentation or any part of it in any form other than personal use without the express written permission of Med Learning Group is prohibited.