Allen C. Ho, MD, FACS
Attending Surgeon and Director of Retina Research, Wills Eye Hospital
Professor of Ophthalmology, Thomas Jefferson University
Mid Atlantic Retina
The diabetic retinopathy (DR) Immersive Simulation Experience allows learners to engage in clinical decision-making targeting diagnosis and therapeutic approaches in DR management. By participating in this simulated 3D encounter, you will observe patient-provider interactions and use pertinent information from the patients’ electronic chart to decide the next best course of action at various key points in care. Highlighted areas for this activity include assessment of retinopathy severity, intensification of treatment, as well as the recognition and management of adverse events.
This activity is designed to meet the educational needs of retina specialists, ophthalmologists, primary care providers, optometrists, and other healthcare providers who manage patients with diabetic retinopathy.
- Communicate the importance of proper eye care and early intervention in preventing progressive visual changes in patients with or at risk for DR
- Incorporate collaborative strategies into clinical practice that promote team-based communication, maintain continuity of care, and improve treatment adherence for patients with or who are at risk for DR
- Identify pathogenic changes in DR that would be best managed with a multidisciplinary approach
- Evaluate clinical trial data on the efficacy and safety of currently available treatment options for the management of DR
Med Learning Group is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. This CME activity was planned and produced in accordance with the ACCME Essentials.
CREDIT DESIGNATION STATEMENT
Med Learning Group designates this online activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the online activity.
NURSING CREDIT INFORMATION
Purpose: This program would be beneficial for nurses involved in the care of patients with diabetic retinopathy.
CNE Credits: 1.0 ANCC Contact Hour.
CNE ACCREDITATION STATEMENT
Ultimate Medical Academy/CCM is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. Awarded 1.0 contact hour of continuing nursing education of RNs and APNs.
DISCLOSURE POLICY STATEMENT
In accordance with the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) Standards for Commercial Support, educational programs sponsored by Med Learning Group must demonstrate balance, independence, objectivity, and scientific rigor. All faculty, authors, editors, staff, and planning committee members participating in an MLG-sponsored activity are required to disclose any relevant financial interest or other relationship with the manufacturers of any commercial products and/or providers of commercial services that are discussed in an educational activity.
DISCLOSURE OF CONFLICTS OF INTEREST
Dr. Allen Ho discloses the following:
- He is a consultant/advisor for Adverum Biotechnologies, Aerie Pharmaceuticals, Alcon Laboratories, Aldeyra Therapeutics, Allergan, Apellis Pharmaceuticals, Applied Genetic Technologies Corporation (AGTC), AsclepiX Therapeutics, Beaver-Visitec International, BioTime, Chengdu Kanghong Biotechnology, Genentech, Graybug Vision, Gyroscope Therapeutics, IRIDEX, Iveric/Ophthotech, Johnson & Johnson, Lineage Cell Therapeutics/ BioTime, Notal Vision, ONL Therapeutics, Optovue, PanOptica, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, and REGENXBIO
- He has received grants from Aerie, AGTC, Alcon Laboratories, Aldeyra, Allergan, Apellis, BioTime, Chengdu Kanghong Biotechnology, Genentech, Gemini Medical, Graybug Vision, Gyroscope, Iveric/Ophthotech, Johnson & Johnson, Lineage/BioTime, LumiThera, National Eye Institute, Novartis, Optovue, ProQR Therapeutics, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, REGENXBIO, and Sanofi
- He has ownership in Covalent Medical, ONL Therapeutics, and PanOptica
CME Content Review
The content of this activity was independently peer-reviewed.
The reviewer of this activity has nothing to disclose.
CNE Content Review
The content of this activity was peer-reviewed by a nurse reviewer.
The reviewer of this activity has nothing to disclose.
Staff, Planners, and Managers
The staff, planners and managers reported the following financial relationships or relationships to products or devices they or their spouse/life partner have with commercial interests related to the content of this CME/CE activity:
Matthew Frese, General Manager of Med Learning Group, has nothing to disclose.
Christina Gallo, SVP, Educational Development of Med Learning Group, has nothing to disclose.
Ana Maria Albino, Senior Program Manager of Med Learning Group, has nothing to disclose.
Nicole Longo, DO, FACOI, Director of Medical and Scientific Services of Med Learning Group, has nothing to disclose.
Lauren Welch, MA, VP of Accreditation and Outcomes of Med Learning Group, has nothing to disclose.
Brianna Hanson, Accreditation and Outcomes Coordinator of Med Learning Group, has nothing to disclose.
DISCLOSURE OF UNLABELED USE
Med Learning Group requires that faculty participating in any CME activity disclose to the audience when discussing any unlabeled or investigational use of any commercial product or device not yet approved for use in the United States.
During this lecture, faculty may mention the use of medications for both FDA-approved and non-approved indications.
METHOD OF PARTICIPATION
There are no fees for participating and receiving CME credit for this online activity. To receive CME/CNE credit participants must:
- Read the CME/CNE information and faculty disclosures;
- Participate in the online activity; and
- Complete pre-and-post surveys and evaluation.
You will receive your certificate as a downloadable file.
Med Learning Group makes every effort to develop CME activities that are science-based. This activity is designed for educational purposes. Participants have a responsibility to use this information to enhance their professional development in an effort to improve patient outcomes. Conclusions drawn by the participants should be derived from careful consideration of all available scientific information. The participant should use his/her clinical judgment, knowledge, experience, and diagnostic decision-making before applying any information, whether provided here or by others, for any professional use.
For CME questions, please contact Med Learning Group at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RELEASE DATE: March 18, 2021
EXPIRATION DATE: March 18, 2022
Contact this CME provider at Med Learning Group for privacy and confidentiality policy statement information at www.medlearninggroup.com/privacy-policy/.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT
Staff will be glad to assist you with any special needs. Please contact Med Learning Group prior to participating at email@example.com.
Copyright © 2021 Med Learning Group. All rights reserved. These materials may be used for personal use only. Any rebroadcast, distribution, or reuse of this presentation or any part of it in any form for other than personal use without the express written permission of Med Learning Group is prohibited.